Diabetes Prevention Program
is proven by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to prevent Type 2 Diabetes. It’s a lifestyle change program for people with prediabetes.
- It can help you lose 5-7% of your body weight. So if you weigh 200 pounds, this would mean losing 10-14 pounds.
- It supports you in increasing your physical activity routine to 150 minutes per week.
- Classes are offered in a group setting in the community, at clinics, and online.
- You will learn new skills like:
- Ways to stay motivated - Being active as a way of life
- Stress management - Carb & calorie counting
- A Lifestyle Coach will support you for 1 year in DPP
- The cost can range from $429 or more for the 1-year program.
- Most health insurance plans cover the cost of the program and Medicare (in 2018) and Medi-Cal (in 2019) will start covering it soon
Sign up for a diabetes prevention class near you
Partners who offer diabetes prevention programs
If you are a health clinic or medical provider, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Medical Association
created the STAT toolkit to help implement pre-diabetes screening and referral processes at a practice or clinic.
Learn more about the Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention program:
Healthy Communities Branch
1775 Story Road, Suite 120
San Jose, CA 95122