County of Santa Clara Raised Tobacco and Electronic Smoking Products Purchase Age to 21 for Unincorporated Areas, Effective January 1, 2016.
As of Jan. 1, 2016, the age to purchase tobacco and electronic smoking products in unincorporated Santa Clara County increased from 18 to 21. The ordinance from 18 to 21. The ordinance affects 17 retailers located in unincorporated county areas. (Scroll down page to see list of locations)
Ordinance Requirements Ordinance Requirements as of January 1, 2016:
- Retailers are required to post a notice of minimum age for purchase of tobacco products and electronic smoking devices at each point of purchase. The notice will state that selling tobacco products and electronic smoking devices to anyone under 21 years of age is illegal and subject to penalties.
- Positive identification will be required for purchases. No retailer shall sell or transfer a tobacco product or electronic smoking device to another person who appears to be under 30 years of age without first examining the customer's identification to confirm that the customer is at least the minimum age required to purchase and possess the tobacco product.
Enforcement of Age Restriction
If a store violates the ordinance and sells tobacco or electronic smoking products to anyone under the age of 21, they could be subject to fines and penalties established when the County’s Tobacco Retail Permit ordinance went into effect in 2011.
- Amount of fine - Each such violation shall be subject to an administrative fine as follows:
- A fine not to exceed $100.00 for a first violation within one year;
- A fine not to exceed $200.00 for a second violation within one year; and
- A fine not to exceed $500.00 for each additional violation within one year.
- Time period for permit suspension
- For a first violation within any 24-month period, the retailer permit shall be suspended for up to 30 calendar days.
- For a second violation within any 24-month period, the retailer permit shall be suspended for up to 90 calendar days.
- For each additional violation within any 24-month period, the retailer permit shall be suspended for up to one year.
Tobacco retailers in unincorporated Santa Clara County needing more information about the Tobacco Retailer Ordinance and the new purchase age restrictions, can call the Santa Clara County Public Health Department at 408-793-2745 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
. The public may call the County Tobacco Violations Reporting Line 408-885-4466 to report non-compliant tobacco retailers in unincorporated Santa Clara County.
Tobacco Retailers in Unincorporated Santa Clara County
- 7-Eleven Food Store #14278f/2234, 14700 Camden Ave., San Jose, Ca 95124
- 7-Eleven Food Store #2233-14269a, 350 N White Rd., San Jose, Ca 95127
- 7-Star Liquor & Groceries, 2115 Scott St., San Jose, Ca 95128
- Bevmo! 14800 Camden Ave., San Jose, Ca 95124
- Cask N Flask,14520 Camden Ave., San Jose, Ca 95124
- Coyote Discount Bait & Tackle, 8215 Monterey Rd., Coyote, Ca 95037
- H And S Tobacco Outlet, 14392a Union Ave., San Jose, Ca 95124
- Mama's Market, 13305 Sycamore Ave., San Martin, Ca 95046
- Old Gilroy Service, 2035 Pacheco Pass Highway, Gilroy, Ca 95020
- Redwood Store, 20121 Broadway Dr., Los Gatos, Ca 95030
- Rocca's Market, 13335 Monterey Rd., San Martin, Ca 95046
- San Martin Gas & Mart, 13235 Monterey Rd., San Martin, Ca 95046
- Santa Teresa Golf Club, 260 Bernal Rd., San Jose, Ca 95119
- Smokers Lounge, 418 S Bascom Ave., San Jose, Ca 95128
- Stuff N Puff, 1931 W San Carlos St., San Jose, Ca 95128
- Tesoro/Shell #68117, 1370 Camden Ave., Campbell, Ca 95008
- Tip Top Liquor, 439 S Bascom Ave., San Jose, Ca 95128
1775 Story Road, Suite 120
San Jose, CA 95122
Phone: (408) 793-3200
Fax: (408) 251-4014