Hey, it’s May! It is time to start promoting the May monthly themes! May is National Bike Month. Biking is a wonderful way to be active and to include the whole family with some outdoor pedaling fun. It also helps the environment by lowering air pollution and traffic. On Thursday, May 9, 2019, tens of thousands of regular and first-time Bay Area residents will bike to work for the 25th Annual, Bike to Work Day, a part of National Bike Month. There is more on Bike to Work Day located in the Physical Activity section of this newsletter. Check out the tips below for more information on eating better on a budget and biking. Using Eatfresh.org, you can also find great recipes using May’s Harvest of the Month, Berries. Using , you can also find great recipes using April’s Harvest of the Month, Salad Greens.
- Nutrition: Eating Better on a Budget
- Harvest of the Month: Berries
- Physical Activity: Biking
Eating Better on a Budget:
Get the most for your food budget! There are many ways to save money on the foods that you eat. The three main steps are planning before you shop, purchasing the items at the best price, and preparing meals that stretch your food dollars.
Here are some tips for stretching your food dollars:
- Buy in season
- Buy in bulk
- Compare brands
- Plan ahead with your meals, make a grocery list, and stick to your list
- Check the local newspaper, online, and at the store for sales and coupons
- Take inventory on what you may already have before heading to the store
Harvest of the Month: Berries
A ½ cup of berries – like blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries – is a good source of vitamin C and fiber. Berries are not only for breakfast, try them in a fruit salad at any meal or snack.
Here are some healthy serving ideas:
- Blend frozen berries with sliced bananas, lowfat milk, and 100% orange juice for a refreshing smoothie.
- Make healthy banana splits for dessert! Top a peeled banana with lowfat vanilla yogurt. Sprinkle with lowfat granola and add your favorite berries.
- Add blueberries to oatmeal, lowfat yogurt, or cereal.
- Berry Good Banana Split – Try this recipe packed with vitamins as a part of your next breakfast or snack! – English / Spanish / Chinese
- Ginger Berry Smoothie Bowl – Try this delightful bowl of nutrients and flavor at your next breakfast! – English / Spanish / Chinese
Additional Salad Green Recipes:
Energize Your Body with Biking:
Biking is a form of aerobic physical activity, which can help to increase your chances of living longer, decrease your risk of many serious health problems, stay or get to a healthy weight, and decrease your chances of becoming depressed. It also strengthens bones, muscles and joints, reduced arthritis and disability, improves mental health and mood, and prevents falls in older adults. Not only is biking a great way to get physical activity, it can also be used as a form of transportation and helps to reduce air pollution. It is also a lot of fun! Adults need at least 30 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity every day.
Here are some tips for getting started with biking:
- Use your bike as a form of transportation, as well as for fun
- Always wear a helmet and bright clothing
- Be sure your bike is in good working condition, check tires, brakes, chain, and other moving parts
For more information about contact:
Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention (CDIP)
1400 Parkmoor Avenue, Suite 120B
San Jose, CA 95126
Main Line: (408) 793-2700
Fax: (408) 793-2731