October is hauntingly upon us and so it’s time to start promoting the October monthly themes! This month’s nutrition tips focus on building a healthy meal using MyPlate. October is also National Walking Month. Using EatFresh.org, you can also find great recipes using October’s Harvest of the Month, Pears.
- Nutrition: Build a Healthy Meal
- Harvest of the Month: Pears
- Physical Activity: Energize Your Body with Walking
Nutrition: Build a Healthy Meal
MyPlate is a great tool to find your healthy eating style and build it throughout your lifetime. It includes the five food groups: Dairy, Fruits, Vegetables, Grains, and Protein. Everything you eat and drink matters. The right mix can help you be healthier now and in the future. This means:
- Focus on variety, amount, and nutrition.
- Choose foods and beverages with less saturated fat, sodium, and added sugars.
- Start with small changes to build healthier eating styles.
- Support healthy eating for everyone.
Here are some tips for building a healthy meal using MyPlate:
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables. Focus on whole fruits and vary your veggies. Choose a variety of colorful vegetables prepared in healthful ways, such as steamed, sautéed, roasted, or raw.
- Vary your protein routine. Add lean protein, such as lean beef and pork, chicken, turkey, beans or tofu. Twice a week make seafood the protein on your plate.
- Make at least half your grains whole grains. Look for the words “100% whole grain” or “100% whole wheat” as one of the first ingredients on the food label.
- Move to fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, or soy beverages.
- Drink water instead of sugar-sweetened beverages.
Harvest of the Month: Pears
A ½ cup of sliced pears – green, yellow, or red – has fiber and vitamin C. Some common pears are Bosc, Anjou, Bartlett, Asian, and Cactus Pear.
- Baked Pears with Maple Yogurt and Granola - This breakfast is a real treat! English / Spanish / Chinese
- Pear, Grape, and Cucumber Salad – This recipe make a tasty side dish to your favorite lunchtime dish! English / Spanish / Chinese
Additional Pear Recipes:
Physical Activity - Energize Your Body with Walking
Walking is a great way to get aerobic physical activity and has many health benefits including a decreased risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and stroke. It can also be used as a form of transportation and helps to reduce air pollution.
Here are some tips for getting started with walking:
- Join a walking group or find a walking partner for support and encouragement.
- Walk to school, work, or the store.
- Choose a route that is safe and convenient.
- Park your car further away in the parking lot.
- Walk the trails at a local park.
- Start off by taking short 10-minute walks and increase the length as they become easier.
For more information about contact:
Healthy Communities Branch
CalFresh Healthy Living Program
1775 Story Road, Suite 120
San Jose, CA 95122
Main Line: (408) 793-2700
Fax: (408) 251-4014