Hepatitis B Vaccination in the Travel & Immunization Clinic for High Risk Populations
There are many ways that people can get hepatitis B. It is possible for people to have hepatitis B and not know it because they do not feel sick. That is why some people need to be tested for hepatitis B before they get the vaccine.
If you would like to get the hepatitis B vaccine (a 3-shot series), please complete the health risk assessment first and ask yourself the following questions:
- Were you born in a country with moderate or high rates of hepatitis B?
Click here and refer to table 1 (PDF)
- Were either of your parents born in a country with high rates of hepatitis B? Click here and refer to table 2 (PDF)
- Do you live with anyone who has hepatitis B?
- Have you had sex with someone, male or female, who has hepatitis B?
- Are you a man who has had sex with men?
- Do you currently or have you ever injected drugs?
If you answered yes to any of the questions, you should be tested for hepatitis B before getting the vaccine.
Geographic Distribution of Chronic Hepatitis B Infection Worldwide
(As measured with HBsAg, 2006)
Map provided by the CDC
If you have insurance, visit your primary care provider. The hepatitis B test and vaccine are covered by most insurance plans. Let your doctor know that you might be at risk for hepatitis B and need to be tested. Your doctor should order the following blood tests:
- Hepatitis B surface antigen (HBsAg)
- Hepatitis B surface antibody (anti-HBs)
If you do not have insurance, you can contact the following clinics to ask about free or low-cost screening:
- Pacific Free Clinic
1835 Cunningham Ave
San Jose, CA 95122
- North East Medical Services
1715 Lundy Ave
San Jose, CA
- El Camino Hospital
Registration is required
For more information about hepatitis B, please visit the following websites:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Know Hepatitis B Campaign
The Asian Liver Center at Stanford University
Public Health Pharmacy Travel & Immunization Clinic
976 Lenzen Avenue, Suite 1100
San Jose, CA 95126
Find us on Google Maps.