Please carefully read this entire page to ensure that you are eligible for yellow fever vaccine.
Effective October 1st, 2018, Stamaril vaccine will not be provided to patients 60 years old and older. These patients may go to the following clinics:
- Stanford Hospital and Clinics. 211 Quarry Rd. Suite 202. Palo Alto, CA 94304. 650-736-5700.
- Passport Health. 8105 Edgewater Dr, Suite 200. Oakland, CA 94621. 888-909-6551.
- AITC Immunization & Travel Clinic. 101 Grove St. Suite 102. San Francisco, CA 94102. 415-554-2625.
- Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation. 3801 Sacramento St. Suite 103. San Francisco, CA 94118. 415-600-2356.
- Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation. 55 2nd St. 1st Floor. San Francisco, CA 94105. 415-600-2356.
- Aptos Travel Clinic. 9099 Soquel Dr. Suite #6. Aptos, CA 95003. 831-818-5632.
Sanofi Pasteur, the manufacturer of the only yellow fever vaccine (YF-VAX) licensed in the United States, has announced that YF-VAX is unavailable from mid-2017 until mid-2018. Sanofi Pasteur makes an alternative yellow fever vaccine called STAMARIL.
STAMARIL is a live, attenuated yellow fever vaccine manufactured by Sanofi Pasteur in France. STAMARIL has been licensed for more than 30 years and used in more than 70 countries. Since STAMARIL vaccine is not licensed in the United States, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved STAMARIL for use under an Expanded Access Investigational New Drug Program (EAP).
STAMARIL is being offered to individuals aged 9 months and older who are at high risk for yellow fever, including researchers, laboratory workers, vaccine production staff, people living in or passing through an endemic area, and people traveling to any country that requires validation of yellow fever vaccination on the International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP) for entry.
STAMARIL eligibility will be assessed during your travel visit at the Adult Immunization and Travel Clinic. We require a travel visit appointment for all persons seeking STAMARIL (yellow fever) vaccination. Please call (408) 792-5200 to schedule an appointment.
Anyone who has received yellow fever vaccine in the past does not need to be revaccinated. Please see the World Health Organization Yellow Fever for more information.
Travelers who are less than 9 months old, travelers who are 60 years old or older, pregnant, breastfeeding, or have any medical condition listed below will not be eligible to receive STAMARIL (yellow fever vaccine) from our clinic:
Travelers who are < 2 years old must have the Yellow Fever Screening Tool completed and signed by their primary medical doctor prior to receiving STAMARIL vaccine.
- Thymus disorders or have had your thymus removed.
- Immunosuppression (e.g., leukemia, lymphoma, or other malignancies).
- Have had an organ transplant or radiation therapy.
- Are taking drugs that affect your immune system (e.g., systemic corticosteroids, alkylating drugs, antimetabolites, or other cytotoxic or immunomodulatory drugs).
- Allergy to vaccine components, including eggs, egg products, or chicken proteins.
- AIDS or HIV infection with severe immune suppression.
Travelers with the medical problems listed below might not be able to receive STAMARIL. If vaccination is desired, they must be evaluated and have the Yellow Fever Screening Tool completed and signed by their primary medical doctor:
- Asymptomatic HIV infection with some evidence of immune suppression.
- Have any other medical conditions that affect your immune system.
Travel & Immunization Services976 Lenzen Avenue, Suite 1100San Jose, CA 95126(408) 792-5200