Navigate Up
Probation Department Menu +

Frequently Asked Questions

Last modified: 3/6/2012 11:27 AM

​Muriel Wright Residential Center is located at 298 Bernal Road, San Jose, CA, 95119, near Santa Teresa Park and IBM, at the top of Bernal Road.

NEW Visiting Hours Effective April 6, 2008 

Visiting is every Sundays, A and B Pods from 9:30 - 11:30 and C and D Pods from 1:30 - 3:30. Only parents and legal guardians are allowed to visit, and picture identification must be displayed. Siblings under the age of 11 years are permitted to visit with parental supervision. The telephone number is (408)227-8022.
Is the Wright Center a co-ed facility?
The program is designed to be managed as a co-ed facility for 13 to 18 year olds, but can be modified to an all female facility depending upon the needs of the probation department.
What programs are provided the minors at the Wright Center?
All minors are enrolled in the school program where they receive individualized attention based on needs and may qualify to test for the G. E. D. Certificate. Special attention is given to those minors in need of services outside of regular programming through contracted agencies. These programs include alcohol and drug education, drug abuse treatment, Alcoholics Anonymous, anger management, CPR/First Aid, sexual abuse, life skills, mental health, parenting, religious services, Los Lupenos (cultural dance group) and anti-gang intervention.
Age of 11 years are permitted to visit with parental supervision. The telephone number is (408)227-8022.
​Applicants for the position must be at least 21 years of age and possess a four year degree from an accredited college or university, preferably with a major in the social or behavioral sciences, administration of justice, criminal justice or a related field of study. Probation Officers are Peace Officers and must pass physical and psychological examinations and a background investigation. Each new deputy is required to complete 200 hours of training the first year and 40 hours each year thereafter. As Peace Officers, they have the authority to arrest and take probationers into custody.
​We supervise juveniles and adults on probation to the Court. The Probation Officer interviews offenders and others to determine the nature of the offender’s difficulties, identifies signs of substance abuse and mental health disorders and prepares written reports and makes recommendations to the Court. Probation Officers enforce conditions of probation, design treatment plans, cooperate with criminal justice, law enforcement and community agencies in mutual cases, access community resources, exercise peace officer powers of arrest and searches and conduct substance abuse testing. 
​No. Adults (18 years of age and older) convicted of a crime may not have their record sealed. Under certain circumstances, the conviction may be set aside and the case dismissed by the Court. This procedure is called a record clearance and there are several restrictions for eligibility. Record clearances do not keep the offense from serving as a prior conviction in a later criminal proceeding or prevent a conviction for possession of a firearm by a felon or a person addicted to a narcotic drug. Court appearances and legal representation are not required. To apply, call telephone number (408)435-2061. There is a non-refundable fee of $68. You may also complete the application for Record Clearance and mail it to the designated address, along with the fee.
In Adult Court law, probation is a suspended sentence. The Court requires that an offender be supervised by a probation officer for a specific period of time, usually three years. If the offender violates probation, the Court may impose the sentence the law prescribes for the crime(s) committed. It may mean prison for a felony or up to one year in jail for a misdemeanor law violation.  The Court may impose certain requirements be fulfilled before probation can expire. Those "conditions of probation" may include a jail sentence, a fine, victim restitution, drug testing, completion of a treatment program, etc.
​If you are legally entitled to the information, based upon your relationship to the minor or the case, you may call the Data Center at (408)278-6010.
A Juvenile record can only be sealed when a request is made and all criteria are met. The criteria are: 
  1. Applicant must now be at least 18 years of age
  2. Five years must pass after the most recent offense
  3. May not be on Probation as an adult
  4. May not have pending criminal charges
  5. Must not have any outstanding fees

By law, insurance companies retain access to DMV records to establish rates and eligibility. Court appearance is not required and the process may take up to six months. A fee is charged. You can download the instructions and an application online and or you can call (408) 278-6045.

​If taken by the law enforcement officer to Juvenile Hall for detention, a probation officer makes an initial evaluation as to whether the minor should remain detained pending the Court’s Detention Hearing, which will take place within 48 to 72 hours. A probation officer will gather necessary information about the case and the minor and the District Attorney will decide what, if any, charges to file. The probation officer will present the case to the Judge, who will decide whether to order the minor detained or released to a parent or guardian pending a hearing on the charges. The release may be under the supervision of a counselor, carry with it special conditions, and could include such requirements as mandatory treatment and electronic monitoring surveillance. The case is then continued for a Jurisdictional Hearing. There is no bail in juvenile cases.
​At this Hearing, scheduled within 15 Court days of the detention hearing, the Court determines whether the minor committed the crimes alleged by the District Attorney, whether the minor should be made a ward of the Court (and be placed under the Court’s jurisdiction) and establishes a program of rehabilitation.
The probation officer provides the Court with a report which discusses the minor’s background, familial and educational situation and present and past delinquent conduct. The report also addresses the crime’s impact upon the victim. The probation officer recommends a treatment plan which may include such requirements as mandatory school attendance, treatment, drug testing, victim restitution, etc.
The minor may be allowed to go home on probation, or be ordered to serve a period of time in a Juvenile Hall program, be placed in a Juvenile Ranch Program, be placed in a group home or residential treatment program or be committed to the California Youth Authority.  The law states, "Minors under the jurisdiction of the Court as a consequence of delinquent conduct shall, in conformity with the interests of public safety and protection, receive care, treatment and guidance which is consistent with their best interest, which holds them accountable for their behavior, and which is appropriate for their circumstances. This guidance may include punishment that is consistent with the rehabilitative objectives of this chapter...."
​If a petition alleging a law violation is found true by the Juvenile Court Judge, a minor may be made a ward of the Court and be placed on probation. Typically, the minor remains on probation for one year and until dismissed by the Court.
​Minors at James Boys Ranch are graded each week on their progress, using an objective system that takes into account all aspects of their performance, including school and work adjustment as well as overall behavior. When the minor completes the program he is sent home an a 30 day "pre-release" trial and is closely supervised by a counselor.
​All minors at the James Ranch are wards of the Juvenile Court and have been committed to the facility by the Court based on involvement in juvenile delinquency.
​The average length of stay at James Boys Ranch is approximately four months. Because the length of stay depends in part upon the committing offense(s) and the minor’s adjustment, the length of stay can vary from three one-half to six months.
​At James Ranch, in addition to the Blue Ridge High School program, which includes the opportunity to obtain a G. E. D. Certificate, the boys participate in on-ranch and off-ranch work programs. These include work done for the Santa Clara Valley Water District and community service work. Additional programs include Alcoholics Anonymous, drug and alcohol education, anger management, construction technology, auto mechanics, life skills, mental health counseling, athletic program, drug abuse treatment, religious services, tattoo removal, plant seedling program and presentations by State correctional and California Youth Authority inmates.
​Yes, minors can stay at James Boys Ranch after they turn 18. The Juvenile Court still has jurisdiction of the ward after they turn 18, until such time as the case has been dismissed by the Court.
​After the first 30 days at James Boys Ranch, minors who have not presented adjustment problems are permitted to go home one or both weekend days.
​William F. James Boys Ranch is located at 19050 Malaguerra Ave., Morgan Hill, CA, 95037. Visiting by parents and legal guardians is permitted on Sundays between 11 am and 2 pm. The telephone number is (408)578-2562.