Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Search SCCGOV Main Portal

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) - Adults

What is probation?
In Adult Court law, probation is a suspended sentence.  The Court requires that an offender be supervised by a probation officer for a specific period of time, usually three years.  If the offender violates probation, the Court may impose the sentence the law prescribes for the crime(s) committed.  It may mean prison for a felony or up to one year in jail for a misdemeanor law violation.  The Court may impose certain requirements be fulfilled before probation can expire. Those "conditions of probation" may include a jail sentence, a fine, victim restitution, drug testing, completion of a treatment program, etc.​
How do I get an offense dismissed/reduced to a misdemeanor?
Contact the Public Defender's office.
Phone: (408) 299-7700
Can an adult record be sealed?
Adults (​>18 years of age) convicted of a crime may not have their record sealed.  Under certain circumstances the conviction may be set aside, and the case dismissed by the Court.  This procedure is called Record Clearance.  Court appearance and legal representation are not required.  The process may take up to six months​.
My significant other has threatened to hurt my family or me. What can I do?
It is recommended that you contact your local police department, and file a report.​​​​
I know that my neighbor is on probation and might be selling drugs. What can I do?
There are several options.
  • Contact your local police department; or
  • Contact the Probation Department Administrative Services for assistance:  (408) 435-2000
Can I vote?
In California, you have the right to vote while you are on probation. You must be a United States citizen, a resident of California, and at least 18 years old.

Last updated: 10/2/2017 5:59 PM