Navigate Up
County Clerk-Recorder Menu +
Home > Fictitious Business Names

Publishing Information

Last modified: 3/22/2016 2:48 PM


After your statement has been filed, publishing is required under the following circumstances  (Business and Professions Code 17917):

  • A new Fictitious Business Name Statement filing.
  • A renewal or re-filing of Fictitious Business Name Statement with changes.
  • A renewal or re-filing of Fictitious Business Name Statement occurring more than 40 days after the expiration date.
  • The filing of a Statement of Abandonment of use of Fictitious Business Name.
  • The filing of a Statement of Withdrawal from Partnership operating under Fictitious Business Name

If publishing is required, your statement must be published in a newspaper that has been adjudicated as one of general circulation as per California Government Code section 6000.  It is your responsibility to ascertain the current adjudication status of the newspaper you plan to use.

  • The legal notice must be published a total of four times (once a week for four consecutive weeks).
  • The first publication must appear within 30 days of the filing date.
  • CALIFORNIA CODES BUSINESS AND PROFESSIONS CODE 17917(d) indicates an affidavit showing the publication of the statement shall be filed with the county clerk where the fictitious business name statement was filed within 30 days after the completion of the publication.
  • The newspaper may offer a service to file this affidavit for you. Please check with the newspaper to receive information about the service and any associated charges.
  • In other cases, the newspaper may give the affidavit directly to you. You may bring the affidavit to our office or mail it to us.
  • All information on the Fictitious Business Name Statement including the residence address will be published.

Be sure to allow sufficient time for the newspaper to prepare your statement for publication.  Failure to publish as required by law will cause your statement to expire, and will require a new statement to be filed, including the payment of ANOTHER filing fee.


The List of General Circulation Newspapers is from information posted on the Superior Court Website as of July 1, 2015 (Ref. Doc. "PB-4000") and offered only as a convenience to our customers.