Navigate Up
County Clerk-Recorder Menu +
Home > Marriage Licenses

Marriage Ceremony Options

Last modified: 7/22/2015 5:03 PM

Marriages Performed by the Clerk-Recorder's Office


Civil marriage ceremonies may be performed by County Deputy Marriage Commissioners at the Clerk-Recorder’s Office in a private decorated ceremony room. Appointments are required, and the ceremony fee must be paid in advance. Appointments must be made in person at the Clerk-Recorder's Office during Marriage License business hours.   Appointment slots fill quickly. Hours available for ceremonies are:

Tuesday through Friday between the hours of 10:30 am to 3:40 pm.
The fee for a marriage ceremony is $80.00. At least one witness is required to attend a standard civil ceremony. Upon request a witness can be provided for a fee of $10.00.

Additionally, walk-in couples who do not want to wait for an appointment will be accommodated through the new Express Marriage Ceremony Service.  After purchasing the marriage license, they may have their ceremony performed at the service window for an additional fee of $120.  Express Marriage ceremonies can be performed weekdays from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.


Marriages Performed by Clergy or Judges


Marriage ceremonies may be arranged by the couple with any member of the clergy, including non-denominational, who, by virtue of their ordination or assignment of their religion have been given the "office" to perform such rites. After the ceremony has been performed, the license should be completed, with the signatures of the officiant and the witnesses, and returned by the officiant to the Clerk-Recorder for recordation. At least one witness is required. A maximum of two witnesses may sign the license.


Similarly, any Judge, or Retired Judge, or designated Court official can perform marriage ceremonies. Check with the official for information on fees and availability. To schedule a ceremony with a Superior Court Judge, you may contact Superior Court at 408-882-2739.


Marriages Performed by a Person Other than Clergy or Judges


Couples with a valid license may choose to have a friend or relative of their choice especially deputized to perform their marriage. To make arrangements to have such a person deputized as a "One-Time Deputy Marriage Commissioner", the person making the request should come to the Clerk-Recorder's Office during Marriage License business hours.


The individual must have current government issued identification such as a passport or driver's license to apply. The information required for the completion of the application is as follows: the party A's and party B's names, the date and location of the wedding ceremony, and the County where the parties will purchase the marriage license.


The appointment is valid for the specified wedding and is valid for the date of the wedding and 6 subsequent days to allow for a change of date by the two parties. The fee for this service is $80.00, payable by cash, check, or debit card ($2.50 convenience fee applies).


Chapel Rental 


Any members of the public may choose to rent the Chapel in the Clerk-Recorder's Office to hold a marriage, commitment, or other type of ceremony.  The parties are required to provide their own officiator.  The cost for this service is $40.00 per 10 minutes of usage.  Appointments are required, and the Chapel usage fee must be paid in advance. Appointments must be made in person at the Clerk-Recorder's Office during Marriage License business hours.  For more information about this service, please call 408-299-5658.