Effective July 1, 2020, New Real Property Transfer Tax for Properties in the City of San Jose. Click here for more information.
of recent developments, including new guidance from the Governor of the
State of California as well as a new Order from our Public Health
Department, the Clerk-Recorder's Office will not be able to provide
services for walk-in customers from March 16, 2020, until further
We also have a drop box located in front of the Clerk-Recorder’s Office.
Once the drop off request has been processed, the completed requests will be returned by mail.
ensure that your dropped off packet is securely packaged in an
- Also please be sure to enclose a check. Please visit our website listed below for our fee schedule. If unsure of the amount, please state a not-to-exceed amount (NTE $ ) in the memo.
- Real Estate
- There will be no real estate recording accepted for walk-in
customers. We will also process documents sent through the mail and
received through our drop box inside the County Government Center at 70
W. Hedding Street, East Wing, near the entrance of the Clerk-Recorder
Office. Please note that all real estate recording drop-offs will be
processed and mailed out within 6 and 8 weeks.
For more information relating to the San Jose Measure E pertaining to the new Real Property Transfer Tax, click here.
- Grantor/Grantee Index - While there are no walk-in customers allowed to use the public research area, the Clerk-Recorder's Office can send out a daily .csv file OR a .csv file that contains all of the recordings for the past 30 days by email. These files will include: date, document number, grantor/grantee, document titles(s), and transfer tax paid. To receive these emails, please submit a request to email@example.com with the subject line of "Request for Recorded Documents Report" in order to be reviewed and added to our email list. For any other research requests, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of "Research Request".
- Passport Applications - Passport applications will not be accepted or processed.
- Birth, Death, and Marriage Records Requests
- Requests for vital records (birth, death, and marriage records) submitted online through the Vitalchek service, as well as requests received through the mail and our drop box will be processed. A completed sworn statement in addition to a notary acknowledgment is required. Completed requests will be sent through the US mail within 4 to 6 weeks.
- Business Filings, Official Record Purchases
- Business filings and official records (purchase of copies) submitted through the mail or the drop box will be processed. Completed requests will be sent through the US mail within 4 to 6 weeks.
- Marriage License Services are only available if either one or both of the parties are resident(s) of Santa Clara County. The couple must have access to either Skype or Zoom for video conferencing to complete the Marriage License Application process. Click here for further instructions.
Additionally, for those couples that received a paper license prior to the Shelter in Place (SIP) Order and have not been able to have a ceremony or the license has expired as a result of the SIP, please contact our office at email@example.com. with the subject line of “Marriage License - SIP” A member of the Clerk-Recorder staff will be contacting you for further assistance.
- Marriage Ceremony Service is available through video conferencing via Skype or Zoom. However, this service is only available if either one or both of the parties are resident(s) of Santa Clara County. The video conferencing ceremonies are by appointment only. Please contact our office at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line of “Marriage Ceremony.” A member of the Clerk-Recorder staff will be contacting you for further assistance.
- Notary Oaths and Filing – At this time, we are only accepting filings sent through the mail or our drop box. E-mail inquiries can be sent to the email@example.com. Indicate in the subject line, “Notary Oaths.” Please include the phone number where you can be reached during the day.
- General Phone Calls and Emails - Phone calls, voicemails and emails may be answered based on availability of staff.
If you have an urgent matter that is not a listed service, please contact our help desk at (408) 299-5688.