Process Server applications will be processed within three (3) business days from date of submission.
A Process Server is defined as any person who makes more than 10 services of process within this state during one calendar year, for specific compensation or in expectation of specific compensation. Process Servers shall file a certificate of registration with the county clerk of the county in which he or she resides or has his or her principal place of business. Any corporation or partnership that derives or expects to derive compensation from service of process within this state shall also file a certificate of registration as a process server with the county clerk of the county in which the corporation or partnership has its principal place of business
To register as a Process Server in Santa Clara County, please complete and provide the following (if renewing, see additional information below):
- A completed registration form (application)
- A completed Request for Live Scan Service - See Form below. Note: make 3 copies, 1 for applicant, 1 for Live Scan Operator, and 1 for requesting agency (if needed ). For more information please go to the Sheriff's Department website then click on "Fingerprinting Appointments."
- A process server Bond. The bond must show date of issuance and date of expiration
- Process server registration fee - see the Process Server Registration Information attachment below or check Fees/Quick References.
- Two passport pictures for mandatory photo ID (If Corporation, no photo required)
- Valid California Driver License
All employees who serve 10 or more services of process in one calendar year will be required to register as a NATURAL PERSON in order to be in compliance with Sections 22350 et seq., of the Business & Professions Code.
A certificate of registration is effective for a period of two years or until the date the bond expires, whichever occurs first. The renewal can take place up to 60 days prior to the expiration date and the effective date of the renewal will be the date the current registration expires. As long as the renewal takes place on or before the expiration date, the registration number will remain the same, and a new, completed Livescan form, signed and dated by the Sheriff’s Department, will not be required. All remaining requirements above will still apply.
Once your application is approved, please allow at least 45 minutes to process your registration. Filings are accepted only until 4:00 p.m.