What is a Fictitious Business Name (FBN) Statement?
The purpose of registering a Fictitious Business Name (FBN) with the County Clerk Recorder is to ensure that consumers have access to the true name and address of the owners of a business (Business and Professions Code Section § 17920).
To file, refile, or renew a Fictitious Business Name Statement, please follow these steps:
- First, research the business name to see if it is taken or look up your previous filing information. Although we do offer a search service (with fees), it is much more economical and convenient to perform the search yourself at no cost. You can do this in person or use our Self-Service search system.
- Applications can be obtained as follows:
- Online: You can complete and submit your application online through self service. (IMPORTANT: You must come in-person to the Santa Clara County Clerk Recorder's office to complete your request.)
- In-person: Come to the Clerk-Recorder's Office during regular hours. Once you arrive, make your way to a self-service workstation to start your request.
- By-Mail: Send a request and a self-addressed stamped envelope to our office.
Santa Clara County Clerk-Recorder's Office
ATTN: Business Division
70 West Hedding Street, First Floor, East Wing
San Jose, CA 95110
- Filing Fees
- Publish the statement IF required. For a list of newspapers, view for more information.
AttachmentFictitious Business Name Statement
(for mail in only)Fictitious Business Name Addendum
(for mail in only)