The Santa Clara Clerk-Recorder's web site will be unavailable on Sunday (11/8/2020) starting from 8:00 A.M. to 9:00 A.M.
What is a Fictitious Business Name (FBN) Statement?
The purpose of registering a Fictitious Business Name (FBN) with the County Clerk Recorder is to ensure that consumers have access to the true name and address of the owners of a business (Business and Professions Code Section § 17920).
To file, refile, or renew a Fictitious Business Name Statement, please follow these steps:
- First, research the business name to see if it is taken or look up your previous filing information. Although we do offer a search service (with fees), it is much more economical and convenient to perform the search yourself at no cost. You can do this by using our Self-Service search system.
- Applications can be downloaded from our web site and submitted to our office as follows:
- Online services are unavailable until further notice.
- In-person: The Clerk-Recorder's Office will not be able to provide services for walk-in customers from March 16, 2020, until further notice.
- By-Mail / Dropbox: Submit completed application, a self-addressed stamped envelope to our office, and fees.
Santa Clara County Clerk-Recorder's Office
ATTN: Business Division
70 West Hedding Street, First Floor, East Wing
San Jose, CA 95110
- Filing Fees
- Publish the statement IF required. For a list of newspapers, view for more information.