Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Search SCCGOV Main Portal

One Day Deputy Commissioner

Couples with a valid marriage license may choose to have a friend or relative deputized to perform their marriage ceremony.​  The prospective commissioner does not need to be a resident of Santa Clara County.  Additionally, the marriage ceremony may take place in any County within the State of California.


To apply to have a person deputized as a "One-Time Deputy Marriage Commissioner", the prospective commissioner should come to the Clerk-Recorder's Office during Business Hours.  No appointment is needed.  Upon arrival, please make your way to our public search area to start your request.

To apply, the prospective commissioner must have current government issued identification such as a passport or driver's license.  The information required for the completion of the application is as follows:

  • The couple's legal names
  • The date and location of the wedding ceremony
  • The County where the parties will purchase the marriage license.

The commission is valid for that specified wedding, the date of the wedding and six (6) subsequent days to allow for a change of date by the two parties.  The fee for this service is $80.00, payable by cash, check, or debit card ($2.50 fee applies).​

Last updated: 8/25/2017 10:11 AM