Don't Dump Used Oil and Oil Filters
- Used motor oil is hazardous to you, your children and our environment. Do not dump used oil down gutters, storm drains, in garbage cans, or into our creeks, rivers, the delta or bay. The oil from one oil change can pollute 1,000,000 gallons of water.
- Recycle your used oil filters. They can contain more than 45% used oil in weight when removed from the vehicle. Recycling all filters sold annually in the US would recover 160,000 tons of steel and prevent millions of gallons of oil from polluting the environment.
- Recycling used oil & oil filters prevents water pollution, protects public health, and preserves limited natural resources.
Used Oil and Oil Filters Recycling Services
- Available in some cities, on your recycling and garbage day for single family residences. Call your garbage company for more information.
Certified Collection Centers (CCC)
- Over 80 retail locations participate in the CCC program in Santa Clara County. They accept your used oil for free.
- Many centers also accept oil filters for FREE.
DO NOT DROP OFF your used oil or oil filters outside the store or when it is closed.
for a list of Certified Collection Centers.
THE CERTIFIED CENTERS WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY CONTAMINATED USED OIL, ANTIFREEZE, TRANSMISSION FLUID OR BRAKE FLUID FROM RESIDENTS.
If you have any of these contaminated products, please contact the Household Hazardous Waste Program for a disposal appointment by calling (408) 299-7300 or you can click the button below.
*Please call the Certified Collection Center prior to any drop-off.