Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer
Search SCCGOV Main Portal

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I get a copy of an accident report?
You can request a copy of a report at the Sheriff's Office Headquarters, 55 W. Younger Avenue, San Jose, 24 hours a day.  Accident reports are also available at the West Valley Substation, 1601 S. De Anza Boulevard Cupertino, Monday through Friday, 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.  No fee will be collected for a copy of a report with fewer than 50 pages. A fee of 10 cents a page will be charged for reports 50 pages or more.
Who do I call about abandoned vehicles on the street?
​This depends on where you live in the County. If you live in unincorpated areas or in the contract cities of Cupertino, Los Altos Hills or Saratoga, you can call 408-299-2311 or 408-299-3233 to report the abandoned vehicle. Residents of Cupertino and Saratoga residents may also call the Code Enforcement/Community Services Office at City Hall to report abandoned vehicles during regular business hours.
Who do I call to report speeding vehicles in my neighborhood?
​This depends on where you live. If you live in Cupertino, Los Altos Hills or Saratoga, call the Sheriff's Office. If you live in an unincorporated portion of the County, you must call the California Highway Patrol.
What can I do about harassing phone calls? (Annoying hang ups, profane language, etc.)
​Both Pacific Bell and GTE have set up Call Annoyance Bureaus for their customers and "Call Trace" is available in most service areas. Unless the call is of a serious nature (death threats, bomb threats, etc.), call your local phone company business office and ask about their Call Annoyance services. Once those procedures are in effect and the phone company traces the source of the calls, you will be directed to contact the Sheriff's Office. IF THE CALL IS OF A SERIOUS NATURE AND INVOLVES A THREAT TO LIFE OR PROPERTY, CALL 9-1-1 IMMEDIATELY.
Are there any noise ordinances in the County?
Yes. They vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction as to what sources of noise are illegal, along with days and hours. If in doubt, call the Sheriff's Office and a deputy will evaluate the situation and take the proper action.
How do I apply for a job with the Sheriff's Office?
​The Sheriff's Office is accepting applications for Deputy Sheriff Cadet, Correctional Deputy Cadet and Lateral Deputy Sheriff.  Go to for more information and to apply.
How do I schedule a ride-a-long with a deputy?
​First step is to fill out the ride-a-long request form.  Once it is filled out, please email or drop it off to Giselle Diaz at the Headquarters Patrol Division at 55 W. Younger Avenue in Downtown San Jose. If you have any questions, please contact Giselle Diaz via email or at (408) 808-4402 or Sergeant Susan Taylor at 408-808-4404 or via email at
Last updated: 4/21/2020 12:01 PM