The Santa Clara County Regional Auto Theft Task Force (RATTF) is a proactive, multi-jurisdictional unit that augments already existing auto theft units. RATTF provides additional resources to enhance the capacity of all police agencies countywide in order to impact the crime of auto theft.
The Task Force includes all jurisdictions in Santa Clara County regardless of whether an agency is participating in the Task Force or not. The exclusive objective of RATTF is to deter, investigate and prosecute vehicle theft and related crimes and goals are to:
- Establish a proactive centralized auto theft investigation team that engages in a multi-disciplinary approach utilizing local, state and federal investigators.
- Identify local trends and patterns of vehicle theft through collective crime analysis.
- Provide public education concerning vehicle theft crimes and insurance fraud, and implement needed prevention and deterrence programs as identified.
- Provide vertical prosecution for appropriate suspects apprehended by Task Force members.
- Increase the number of arrests of vehicle theft suspects, particularly the professional thieves participating in the surgical stripping, renumbering and exporting of stolen vehicles.
- Target specific locations that are used in connection with vehicle thefts, such as “Chop Shops” and legitimate businesses used for illegal activities.