If you find yourself in possession of unwanted firearms, you can surrender it to the Sheriff's office by following the steps below.
- Call the Non-Emergency Number (408) 299-2311. Let the dispatchers know you have firearms to bring in for destruction.
- Identify the items to the dispatcher and advise which Sheriff’s Office location you plan to bring the firearms/ammunition:
- Sheriff’s Headquarters: Open 24/7/365 55 W. Younger Ave. San Jose, CA 95110
- West Valley Division: Available Mon. to Friday 8:00 am to 3:00 pm 1601 S. De Anza Blvd. Cupertino, CA 95014
- South County Station: Available Mon. to Friday 8:00 am to 3:00 pm 80 W. Highland Ave. San Martin, CA 95046
- If you know how to safely unload the firearm(s), Please Do So.
- If possible, place a flex tie or other obstruction to lock open the chamber on a revolver or the slide on a semi-automatic handgun.
- Lock your firearm(s) in a secure container. Ammunition should be placed in a separate box or specific ammunition can.
- Transport the firearm(s) locked in the trunk of your vehicle and store the ammunition in either the glove box and/or the interior compartment area.
- Drive straight to your selected Sheriff’s Office location.
- Park your vehicle in a Sheriff’s Office visitor space, make sure your vehicle is locked, and go inside to ask for further instructions.
- Please do not bring any firearms into any Sheriff’s Office building. Leave all firearms in their locked containers inside your vehicle until given further instructions by a Sheriff’s Office Deputy.
- You will receive a receipt for documentation.
What Happens to Items I Bring in?
- Firearms will be checked to be sure they have not been reported stolen.
- Firearms/ammunition is stored until we have accumulated a sufficient quantity to send out for destruction.
- The Sheriff’s Office will not sell firearms that are voluntarily and permanently surrendered.