An SUV patrol vehicle parked outside headquarters.
The Santa Clara County
Sheriff's Office demands the highest standards of honesty,
professionalism, and integrity to maintain public trust, respect, and
We now accept California B written examination"T-scores" for the Deputy Sheriff Cadet position from other agencies with a T-score of 48 or higher, if the test has been taken within a year of the date we administer the test.Check the current job posting at www.SCCJobs.org for testing dates. It is the applicant's responsibility to attach proof of the written exam results to the job application. The T-score results must be on an
agency letterhead where the test was administered and list the type of
test, test date, and the test results.
are many resources to help you prepare for the PELLET-B. The P.O.S.T.
website provides a Preparation Guide for the PELLET-B which can be
and at the Written Examinations
POST regulations prohibit examinees from taking this test more than one time in any 30-day period from any
testing site in the State of California. Be advised that if you make
multiple attempts to take this test within a 30-day period, POST will
invalidate your test.
If you are a military veteran you may now get the G.I. Bill through the academy and post academy training for Correctional Deputy and Deputy Sheriff through our state certified apprenticeship programs. Inquire with the backgrounds team after being hired for more information and the required paperwork.
Under supervision, perform active law enforcement duties in the
protection of life and property, investigate crimes and apprehend law
violators, service of civil process issued by court, and perform a
variety of technical law enforcement tasks.
Specialty assignments include Parks Patrol, Transit Patrol, Sexual
Assault Felony Enforcement, Investigative Services, Jail and Gang
Investigations, Rapid Enforcement Allied Computer Team, Bomb Squad, Dive
Team, Marijuana Enforcement Team, Sheriff's Emergency Response Team,
Sheriff's Off-Road Enforcement, Search and Rescue, Civil Warrants,
Internal Affairs, K-9, Major Crimes, and many more.
- 21 years of age at the time of appointment.
- U.S. citizen or permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship.
- High school graduate or pass a high school equivalency test.
- 38 semester units or 57 quarter units from an accredited college.
- Never been convicted of a felony.
- California driver's license with a satisfactory driving record.
- Pass a complete background investigation including fingerprints and a
search of local, state, and nation files for a criminal history.
- Pass a psychological evaluation and pass a thorough medical examination based on medical standards for P.O.S.T.
- For a full list of minimum requirements, see the job posting at www.SCCJobs.org.
Entry Level Salary: $42.92 Hourly while attending the academy
Academy Graduate: $46.20 Hourly / $96,093.92 Annually
Top Pay: $56.16 Hourly / $116,816.96 Annually
Examination Process: The examination process may include one or
more of the following: application review, application appraisal,
preliminary competitive rating, performance test, written test, and/or
oral interview examination. The recruitment may require completion of
Supplemental Questions in order to evaluate your education, training,
and experience relative to the required knowledge and abilities for the
Veterans Preference Information: Any veteran who has submitted a
copy of their DD214 form and received a discharge of other than
dishonorable, from the armed forces showing service in any branch of the
United States military will be given preferential credit to five
percent (ten percent for those identified as disabled veterans), after
attaining a passing examination score for a numerically scored
examination, as applicable by Memorandum of Understanding.
Upon graduation of the P.O.S.T. academy and appointment to Deputy Sheriff:
- Salaries range from $46.20 - $56.16 Hourly and $96,093.92 - $116,816.96 Annually.
- Career Incentive Pay of up to 7.5% of salary for qualified employees.
- CalPERS retirement (3% at 50 formula for classic members; 2.7% at 57 for new members).
- Comprehensive benefits including generous vacation time and medical/dental/vision/life packages.
- 457(b) deferred compensation plans up to $18,000 per year.
- Tuition reimbursement for education advancement.
- 12 double time and a half (2.5x) paid Holidays per year.
- Bi-Annual uniform allowance.
- Night shift differential.
- Bi-Lingual pay.
- Some specialty assignments qualify for additional compensation.
This recruitment will remain open until filled. Applications must be submitted online at www.SCCjobs.org