The Santa Clara County/Hsinchu County, Taiwan, Republic of China Sister-County Commission is committed to fostering artistic, commercial, cultural, educational, and technological exchange and understanding between the people and governments of Santa Clara County and Hsinchu County, Taiwan, Republic of China.
The Board of Supervisors established the Santa Clara County/Hsinchu County, Taiwan, Republic of China Sister-County Commission by ordinance on December 20, 1994. Since then, the Commission has fulfilled its mission through a wide range of activities. Recent accomplishments include:
- Approving, at a special Commission meeting, a donation of $2,000 to the victims of Typhoon Morakot. Commissioners presented the donation to the director general of the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office, the diplomatic representative of the Republic of China.
- Sponsoring and hosting a traditional Hakka Taiwanese Puppet Show and Talk, highlighting the arts and culture of the second-largest ethnic group in Hsinchu County and Taiwan.
- Sponsoring and hosting a successful special event featuring Ribbon Dancers from Taiwan.
- Establishing a solid, mutually supportive relationship with the Taipei Economic and Cultural Office.
- Conducting goodwill delegation visits, at Commissioners’ own expense, to Taiwan to share best practices and strengthen our Sister County relationship.
- Presenting a painting entitled “The Light of Silicon Valley,” donated by Taiwanese-American artist Jenny Ching-Yu Wu, to Hsinchu County.
- Creating a Hsinchu Sister-County Commission website.
- Formalizing the Commission’s relationship with Sister Cities International, a nonprofit citizen diplomacy network that creates and strengthens partnerships between U.S. and international communities.
County of Santa Clara/Hsinchu Sister County Commission
Office of the County Executive
Attn: Office of Public Affairs
70 W. Hedding St., 11th Floor
San Jose, CA 95110
PH: (408) 299-5115
FAX: (408) 295-2192