Navigate Up
Social Services Agency
Menu +

Adult Protective Services - How Do I Make a Dependent Adult or Elder Abuse Report?

Published on: 1/10/2020 4:26 PM

All community members may report dependent adult/elder abuse to help APS ensure that victims of abuse can get the help they need as soon as possible. APS receives reports from family members, service and health providers, law enforcement, and other concerned citizens. Reports can be received by phone or mail.

Social Workers dedicated to the intake process receive and document reports of abuse or neglect. Adult Protective Services assesses the urgency of the situation and are able to respond immediately if necessary or to mobilize law enforcement or paramedics if needed. Reporting parties should call 911 directly if a life threatening situation is in progress. Adult Protective Services may determine that the allegations or the situation does not meet the required criteria for Adult Protective Services involvement. In such cases, referrals or consultation may be appropriate. If a report does meet Adult Protective Services criteria, a social worker is assigned to investigate the allegations and assess the client’s situation. Because of confidentiality laws, the reporting party may not receive information about the outcome of Adult Protective Services involvement.

Steps to report Dependent Adult or Elder Abuse to Adult Protective Services:
(Call 911 for Life-Threatening Emergencies)

  1. Call APS to report dependent adult or elder abuse:
    • 408-975-4900 or 1-800-414-2002
  2. Complete State of California Abuse report forms:
  3. Mail the written report within 2 working days to:
    • Santa Clara County Adult Protective Services
      333 West Julian St. – Fourth Floor
      San Jose CA 95110
To report dependent adult/elder abuse in a long term care facility such as a skilled nursing facility or residential care facility, call the Long Term Care Ombudsman:

​ ​