Annual Report: IHSS Fiscal Year 2017
The In-Home Supportive Services program is a federal, state, and locally funded program designed to provide assistance to those eligible aged, blind, and disabled individuals who, without this care, would be unable to remain safely in their own homes. IHSS provides services according to the IHSS recipient’s ability to perform daily activities, and can include feeding, bathing, dressing, housekeeping, laundry, shopping, meal preparation and clean up, respiration, bowel & bladder care, moving in and out of bed, rubbing the skin (to prevent skin breakdown), accompaniment to medical appointments, paramedical services, and protective supervision.
IHSS recipients are responsible for locating their own home care providers, for hiring and supervising their providers, and for firing the provider if the services are not performed according to the client’s specifications. Additionally, the IHSS Public Authority maintains a registry of individuals available to work as home care providers.
Who Qualifies for IHSS
To be eligible for IHSS, an applicant must be 65 or older, blind, or disabled. An applicant must also meet all of the following conditions:
- Be a California resident
- Live in their own home, or other dwelling in which they choose to reside (residents of acute care hospitals, skilled nursing facilities, and intermediate care facilities are not eligible)
- Have a Medi-Cal eligibility determination. If you are not currently receiving Medi-Cal, please contact our Agency’s Application Assistance Center via telephone at 1-877-962-3633 or via our website at www.MybenefitsCalWIN.org for further details about Medi-Cal eligibility.
- Submit a completed Health Care Certification form [SOC 873] completed by a Licensed Health Care Professional
IHSS Social Workers determine if you qualify for IHSS by assessing your functional need for specific services, and by identifying the amount of time to be allotted for the performance of services. Depending on the amount of your monthly income, you may be required to pay a share of cost for these services.
How to Apply for IHSS
To apply for IHSS, call us at 408-792-1600 between 8am and 5pm, Monday through Friday and provide the following information:
- Name, gender, address, telephone number, date of birth, social security number, Medi-Cal number, ethnicity, and language spoken; spouse’s name, social security number, and date of birth; guardian or contact’s name, relationship, and telephone.
- Information related to housing and income, if known; medical problems or diagnoses, including name of medical doctor, address and telephone number; and client’s level of mobility or function (e.g., walks alone or bedbound).
- Information about supportive resources currently being used, if known (e.g., Home Health Agency, Meals-on-Wheels, etc.).