Navigate Up
Social Services Agency
Menu +

DEBS: How Do I Apply?

Published on: 4/21/2020 1:35 PM

Application Process Overview


24-Hr Automated InfoLine: 
1-877-96-BENEFITS  or
Information about the application process is listed under each program and you can get more information by calling or visiting one of our Social Services Agency Intake Offices. Health coverage applications can be submitted by mail. Financial Assistance and Food Assistance applications always require an office appointment. Special help is available if needed because of a disability.


You may also apply for Financial Assistance, Food Assistance and Health Coverage online via the Benefits CalWIN website at After you submit your application online, Financial and/or Food Assistance applicants will receive an appointment letter for a face-to-face or phone interview. Medi-Cal applicants will be contacted by phone or mail if additional information is needed.

Be sure to have information available about the persons for whom you are applying such as their full name, date of birth, home address, and Social Security number (if they have one).

Each office that accepts applications can help you in English, Spanish, or Vietnamese. If you are most comfortable speaking another language, one of our many bilingual workers or interpreters will help you. We provide this service free of cost. If needed, we will arrange for a sign-language interpreter. Help filling out forms is also available.

Most applications require proof of income, property, residence, and immigration status. Undocumented residents may receive limited Health coverage and may also receive services and benefits for their family members who have legal immigration status.

To apply for Veterans Services, please call (408) 553-6000 or stop in at one the Veterans Services offices​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​​

See what's happening!