Navigate Up
Social Services Agency
Menu +

Financial Assistance for Immigrants

Published on: 4/26/2017 8:25 AM
Cash Assistance Program for Immigrants (CAPI)
24-Hr Automated InfoLine: 
1-877-96-BENEFITS  or 1-877-962-3633
CAPI provides cash payments to certain legal noncitizens who are 65 years of age or older; and to certain legal noncitizens of any age who are blind or disabled. Persons who are blind or disabled must show proof that they have been denied Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Payment (SSI/SSP) solely because of their immigrant status.
Whether or not you are eligible for CAPI, you may still be eligible for other programs such as CalFresh, Medi-Cal, and/or In-Home Supportive Services (IHSS).
The eligibility information below will give you an idea of whether you may be eligible for CAPI. However, eligibility for the program can only be fully evaluated by an Eligibility Worker at the Social Services Agency Intake Office that administers CAPI. This office is located at 1919 Senter Road, San Jose, 95112.


Basic Eligibility Requirements
If you are 65 or older or blind or disabled and have been denied SSI/SSP payments because of your immigrant status, you may be eligible for CAPI payments if you:
  • Have little or no income, and
  • Own items valued at less than $2,000 if you are single, or $3,000 if you are married.

The value of the home you live in is NOT counted. Property and income you have outside the United States is counted, as well as other property (i.e., other than the home you live in) and income you have in the United States. In addition to meeting the income and property limits, you must live in California and be in one of the following groups:

  • Noncitizens who entered the United States on or before August 21, 1996 who are blind or disabled and meet the SSI/SSP immigration standards in effect on August 21, 1996.
  • Noncitizens who entered the United States on or before August 21, 1996 who are 65 years of age or older and meet the SSI/SSP PRUCOL requirements for residency, but DO NOT meet the current immigration status requirements. 
    Note: PRUCOL stands for Permanently Residing Under Color of Law.  PRUCOL requirements apply to certain legal noncitizens that are permanently living in the United States with the knowledge and permission of the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services (BCIS).  BCIS was formerly Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS).
  • Lawful permanent residents (LPRs) who entered the United States on or before August 21, 1996 who are 65 years of age or older, but DO NOT meet the SSI/SSP disability requirements.
  • Certain refugees, asylees, parolees, Amerasians, conditional entrants, individuals with deportation withheld, and others who are 65 and older and NOT eligible for SSI/SSP.
  • Sponsored legal immigrants who are 65 and older, blind or disabled who entered the United States on or after August 22, 1996 whose sponsor is deceased, disabled, or abusive to the immigrant. 
    Note: A legal non-citizen, 65 years of age or older may qualify for CAPI based on age. A disability determination is not usually required. Children under the age of 18 may be eligible for CAPI if they are blind or disabled and meet the other non-medical eligibility requirements.
CAPI Payments
Not all persons eligible for CAPI receive the maximum payment amounts.  CAPI payments vary according to income, marital status (single or married), sponsorship status, age, disability, housing arrangements, and so on.
  • CAPI monthly payment amounts for qualified single individuals range from $537.50 to $922.40*
  • CAPI monthly payment levels for qualified married couples range from $561.23 to $1,148.37* Each
*Levels may change depending on the State of California's budget.
Payments may be lowered if you have other money coming in. If you have a sponsor, the income and property of your sponsor may be counted. Your Eligibility Worker can give you more information about payment amounts and how income and property affect them.


The following payment amounts do not cover all situations and are subject to periodic change.  The County Social Services Agency will publish the payment changes as soon as possible after notification by the State.
CAPI Payment Chart (Effective 01/01/17)
Individuals Aged Disabled Blind
Independent Living $885.72 $885.72 $942.23
Non-Medical Board and Care $898.23 $898.23
Independent Living, No Cooking Facilities $972.04 $972.04  
Household of Another $644.24 $644.24


Disabled Minor Child   $790.15  
Disabled Minor (Household of Another)   $548.67  
Couples Aged and/or Disabled (Both CAPI)
Independent Living $1,490.14 (÷ 2 = $745.07 each)
Non-Medical Board and Care $2,296.74 (÷ 2 = $1,148.37 each)
Independent Living, No Cooking Facilities $1,662.77 (÷ 2 = $831.38 each)
Household of Another (HOA) $1,127.75 (÷ 2 = $563.87 each)
Couples Blind (Both CAPI)
Independent Living  $1,641.19 (÷ 2 = $820.59 each)
Household of Another (HOA) $1,278.80 (÷ 2 = $639.40 each)
Blind Person with Aged or Disabled Spouse (Both CAPI)
Independent Living $1,583.65 (÷ 2 = $791.82 each)
Household of Another (HOA) $1,221.26 (÷ 2 = $610.63 each)
Direct Deposit and Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT)
CAPI benefits are provided to eligible persons using one of the following two methods:
  • Persons eligible for CAPI cash benefits have the option to have benefits “directly deposited” into their checking or savings account.
  • If Direct Deposit is NOT selected, cash benefits are received through a plastic Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card at automated teller (ATM) and point-of-sale (POS) machines.
Applying for CAPI
If you would like to apply for CAPI, you may apply at the following address:
Social Services Agency
1919 Senter Road
San Jose, CA 95112
For more information, you may call (408) 758-3100 and ask for the Supervisor of the Day. The supervisor will give you more information, and answer any questions you may have about CAPI.
Documents You Will Need to Bring When You Apply
Your Eligibility Worker will tell you exactly what documents you need to provide.
The documents will be used to see if you are eligible for CAPI, and to figure out what your payments will be. The following list contains examples of the kind of documents you may need to give or show your Eligibility Worker.
Proof of Identity
  • Any documentation that reasonably shows identity such as a Driver’s license, Identification (ID) Card from the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), or Passport.
  • Birth Certificate
  • A Work or School ID Card
Proof of Residence
  • Rent receipt
  • Utility bill
  • DMV Identification Card or Driver’s License
Proof of Age
  • Birth Certificate
  • DMV Driver’s License or ID card
Social Security Number (SSN) for Each Household Member




  • Social Security Card
  • Proof of Application for Social Security Card
Proof of Immigrant Status
  • Green Card or Alien Registration Card
Proof of Property

  • Bank statements (checking and/or savings accounts)
  • Car registration(s)
  • Papers that show value of property
Proof of Income
  • Pay stubs
  • Papers that show where the money came from
Proof of Shelter Costs/Expenses
  • Housing bill or rent receipt
  • Utility bill
  • Shared housing forms
Proof of Disability (if application is based on blindness/disability)
  • Award Letter
  • Letter from doctor listing disability and how long disability will last.
  • Other proof
Medical Assistance
You may be eligible for medical assistance through the Medi-Cal Program.
You may be eligible for food assistance through the CalFresh Program.

​ ​​​

See what's happening!