The Department of Family and Children’s Services (DFCS) is seeking motivated Resource Families who agree to:
- Make Pre-Approval training a priority;
- Aim to submit a completed application within 30 days;
- Aspire to complete the approval process within 90 days.
There may be minimal costs associated with the approval process. The following is a partial list of requirements to be completed prior to approval. For more information, please contact an RFA Recruiter at 408-299-KIDS.
Basic Requirements and Qualifications to become a Resource Family
- Have the ability to love, understand, care for and accept a child to whom they did not give birth.
- Be in good physical and mental health to ensure that you can meet the needs of children coming into your home (A physical exam is required.)
- Have sufficient income to meet current expenses.
- Must be resident of Santa Clara County if you are not a Relative or Non Relative Extended Family Member (NREFM).
- May be married, single, separated or divorced.
- Applicant(s) must complete an Informational Meeting and the Resource Family Orientation.
- Attend Pre-approval training to learn how to meet the needs of children in care and how to best work with the child’s family.
- Applicant(s) must be certified in CPR and First aid by completing in classroom-hands on training.
- Applicant(s) (Single, two-parent, same gender families) must be at least 18 years of age.
- Must complete an application packet which includes references and physical examination, verification of employment and control of property, i.e. utility bills, grant deed or rental/ lease agreement.
- Be willing to submit to a background check (each adult in the home).
- TB clearances are required for all adults 18 years and over residing in the home.
- Complete and be approved for a permanency assessment.
Home Safety Inspection
- Home must have adequate bedroom space to accommodate all family member including foster children.
- All furniture must be safe and in good repair.
- Home must have functioning smoke detectors.
- Poisons, firearms and other dangerous weapons must be locked.
- Working telephone is required.
- Home and yard must be clean, safe, sanitary and in good repair.
- Swimming pools, hot tubs, ponds, or any other bodies of water must be secured according to RFA Written Directives.
- Medicines must be inaccessible to children at all times.
- Home remodels, additions and conversions, i.e., garages, must have appropriate city permits.
- Cleaners, toxics and other hazardous items are inaccessible to children.