DFCS Online Policies & Procedures

  DFCS Online Policies & Procedures

   <<< Return to OPP Table of Contents
Handbook 24: Extended Foster Care
24-5  Placement and Housing - Extended Foster Care
Extended Foster Care
24-5  Placement and Housing - Extended Foster Care
Reference Points
Types of Placements Available to Non-Minor Dependents (NMDs)
Goals for Placement of NMDs
Placement Authority
Special Considerations for Young Adults Who Are or Were Wards in Non-related Guardianships
Placement Agreement Forms
Non-Minor Dependents' Rights Regarding Placement
Placement Considerations for Non-Minor Dependents
Relative and Non-relative Extended Family Member (NREFM) Homes
Foster Family Homes (FFH) and Foster Family Agency (FFA) Homes
Shared Living Agreement (SCZ410)
Group Home and Transitional Housing Placement Programs (THPP)
Supervised Independent Living Program (SILP)
Approving a SILP
Tribal Supervised Independent Living Program (SILP)
Parenting Support for Non-Minor Dependent Parents in a SILP
Not Approving a SILP
Transitional Housing Placement-Plus-Foster Care (THP+FC) Program
Guiding a Non-Minor Dependent about Roommate Selection
Out-of-County and Out-of-State Placements
Placements for Young Adults Re-entering Extended Foster Care
Grievance Procedures
Financial Assistance for NMDs

Reference Points
Effective Date: 1/1/12
Last Updated:


 Legal Basis:
Popup Window California Department of Social Services (CDSS) All County Letter (ACL) #11-61: Extended Foster Care
Popup Window ACL 12-13: Relative and NonRelative Extended Family member Assessment /Approval; Revised and New SOC Forms for NonMinor Dependent Placement
Popup Window

California Department of Social Services (CDSS) All County Letter (ACL) #12-44: Transitional Housing Placement –Plus Foster Care and Changes to Transitional Housing Placement Program and Transitional Housing Plus

Popup Window

California Department of Social Services (CDSS) All County Letter (ACL) #13-09: Transitioning Youth form Transitional Housing Placement Program (THPP) to the Transitional Housing Placement Plus Foster Care Program

Popup Window California Department of Social Services (CDSS) All County Letter (ACL) # 15-67: Additional Payment for NonMinor Dependent (NMD) Parent in a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP)
Popup Window Welfare and Institutions Codes (W&IC) 361.45
Popup Window W&IC § § 11402.2 and 11403
Popup Window W&IC § § 16501.1 and 16504
pdf California Senate Bill 1013
Popup Window Health and Safety Code § 1502.7
Popup Window Title 22, Division 6 State Regulations- Foster Family Homes/ Non-minor Dependents, Article 3.
 Non CWS/CMS Forms:
MS Word Parenting Support Plan (SCZ208)
MS Word

 Sheriff's Dept. Criminal Record Check Request (CLETS) - Combined SCZ686A-SCZ152 for Caregivers and Volunteers

SCZ686A-SCZ152_ Spanish


MS Word Agency / Foster Parents Placement Agreement (SOC156A)
MS Word Budget Spreadsheet - Extended Foster Care (SCZ411)
MS Word Agency / Group Home Agreement (SOC 154B)
MS Word Placement/Address Change Form (SCZ17)
PDF Placement Agency /THP-Plus-FC Provider Agreement (SOC152)
PDF Placement Agency / FFA Agreement (SOC153)
MS Word Transitional Housing Placement Plus (THP-Plus) Foster Care Placement Referral (SCZ10)
MS Word Shared Living Agreement (SCZ410)
PDF SILP Approval and Placement Agreement (SOC157A)
PDF SILP Inspection: Checklist of Facility Health and Safety Standards (SOC157B)
MS Word SOC 815-817-818 for Temporary Placement for NMD
MS Word SOC 815-817-818 Combined for NMD
MS Word Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP) Cover Page (SCZ158)
MS Word Ansell-Casey Life Skills Assessment
 CWS/CMS Forms:
bullet Services Management Section: Contacts
bullet Case Management Services: Case Plan and Transitional Independent Living Plan

Overview   In planning for placements for non-minor dependents (NMDs), all placement options in any licensed or approved facility, (but not necessarily a group home) are available, including staying with current caregivers, another licensed or approved caregiver, THP-Plus-Foster Care and Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP).  Decisions regarding placement are based on safety, least restrictiveness, and the needs of the NMD.  The placement should provide the young adults opportunities to have incremental responsibilities that prepare them to transition to independent living.  The young adult’s comfort level with a living situation should be considered in placement choice.
    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Types of Placements Available to Non-Minor Dependents  

Non-minor dependents may be placed in any of the following:

  • Approved home of a relative or Non-relative Extended Family Member (NREFM)

  • Foster family home

  • Foster Family Agency (FFA) home

  • Small family home

  • Licensed group home (see restrictions below)

  • Transitional Housing Placement Program (THPP)
    • See group home restrictions below.

  • Transitional Housing Program-Plus-Foster Care (THP-Plus-FC)

  • A supervised independent living placement (SILP)

  • Home of a former non-related legal guardian if the guardianship was terminated before the youths 18th birthday.   

         Santa Clara County Youth Housing Cheatsheet

Placement Type Programs for Placement Type
In Care Placements

Transitional Housing Placement Program (THPP):  

Ages, 16-18/19.  Youth must be at least 16 years old and not more than 18 years old, unless they are in all probability, going to finish high school before their 19th birthday. They must be living in Santa Clara County, and actively participating in ILP.  Social Worker or Probation Officer must complete an SCZ209 and an updated TILP needs to be on file with ILP.

In Care             

Extended Foster Care Placements

Youth who are ages,18-21 opting to stay in extended foster care, placements include:

  • Relative or NREFM placement
  • Foster Home
  • FFA Home
  • Group Home (some restrictions)  
  • THP Plus Foster Care:

A new type of placement modeled after the existing THP-Plus program.  This placement is for NMDs that are not ready for a highly independent living situation.  Social Worker or Probation Officer make the referral to the program.  Similar to the current THP- Plus program in that it:

      • Provides safe, affordable housing and supportive services including case management and the provider is approved and licensed by CCL, and DFCS certifies plan of operations.
      •  Payments go to the provider.

THP-Plus FC Provider:

HomeFirst Sobrato House – 90 day shelter for NMDs.

  • A Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP) may include:
    • Apartment living
    • Room and board arrangements
    • College dorms
    • Shared roommate settings  

Note: This placement needs to be approved by the case carrying Social Worker or Probation Officer and payments go the youth.

Aged out of

Foster Care Placements

Transitional Housing Plus (THP Plus), ages 18-24, aged out:

  • Youth should have been eligible for ILP and actively participating in ILP services before emancipation.
  • They are at least 18 years old, placed in a court approved, out of home placement (except locked facility such as Juvenile Hall) at the time they emancipate/and dependency case is dismissed.  
  • THP-Plus participants are limited to twenty-four months of eligible services cumulatively between their 18 and one day prior to their 24 birthday.
  • A youth can be referred to THP Plus at 18 years of age. 
  • ILP Staff, THP Plus Providers, Social Workers, Probation Officers, and Community Providers staff can refer a youth to THP Plus.
  • Once the referral (SCZ 2167) is completed, submit to ILP Coordinator to determine THP-Plus eligibility.

For more information please refer to: OPP 6-8.2, THP-Plus, Housing for Emancipated Youth

Transitional Housing Program (THP), ages 19-21, aged out or homeless



Youth eligible for THP are both homeless and emancipated foster youth.  Youth cannot be dependents of the court and

are not supervised by the County

Providers ask that the youth call to initiate the interview process

Current providers:

Bill Wilson Center

  • Serves male and female youth, at least age 18, homeless and emancipated

(also has component for pregnant and parenting young adults)


West Valley Community Services

  • At least age 18
  • Homeless and emancipated
  • Employed or on disability
  • Clean and Sober
  • No history of a violent or sexual offense
  • Must have only one child and must be under age 6
    • Contact Grace McCarthy @ 408-255-8033 ext. 107.

Youth Shelter’s

  • Bill Wilson Center Tay Inn- Youth can call 408-907-4680



    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Goals for Placement of NMDs  

In selecting a placement for a non-minor dependent, the goals are that the placement:

  • Is developmentally appropriate to meet the needs of the NMD.
  • Is safe.
  • Is the least restrictive for the NMD's capabilities and maturity.
  • Allows for increasing amounts of responsibility and independence.


    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Placement Authority  

In order for a non-minor to be eligible for extended foster care benefits, the non-minor must remain under the jurisdiction of the juvenile court as a dependent and be under the placement and care responsibility of the county child welfare or probation department. 

 If the non-minor is under guardianship of a non-related legal guardian (NRLG) and not a court dependent, a Mutual Agreement for Extended Foster Care (SOC162) must be signed to extend foster care benefits. 

Placement of an NMD is evidenced by the court order of placement that is reviewed at each Six-Month Review Hearing for the NMD.  When a foster youth reaches 18 years old, the eligibility worker assumes that the last court order for placement remains intact and that placement is court authorized until the eligibility worker receives a court order terminating jurisdiction. 

For young adults under NRLG, the placement authority is the Mutual Agreement (SOC162), and benefits are terminated when the non-minor is no longer being supported by the guardian or no longer participating in his or her Transitional Independent Living Plan (TILP). 

    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Special Considerations for Young Adults Who Are or Were Wards in Non-related Guardianships  

Young adults who are or were under guardianship with a Non-related Legal Guardians (NRLGs) are not eligible for placement, as they are not dependents in foster care.  However, they may live in a college dorm as long as the guardians maintain support for them. 

College dorms are not considered Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP) for NRLGs, and if the NRLG lives in a dormitory setting, the payment must go directly to the guardian as the payee.

    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Placement Agreement Forms  

Non-minor dependents (NMDs) who remain in the same placement after turning 18 do not need a new placement agreement.  When an NMD moves to a new placement in a licensed or approved home, a new placement agreement must be completed with the provider using the applicable form.

  • Placement Agency / THP-Plus-FC Provider Agreement (SOC 152)

  • Placement Agency / FFA Agreement (SOC 153)

  • Agency / Group Home Agreement (SOC 154A)

  • Agency / Foster Parents Placement Agreement (SOC 156A)

  • SILP Approval and Placement Agreement (SOC 157A)

  • SILP Inspection: Checklist of Facility Health and Safety Standards (SOC 157B)
    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Non-Minor Dependents' Rights Regarding Placement  

Consideration should be given to the placement preference of the young adult. It is expected that NMDs are provided placements that are the least restrictive and encourage as much independence as possible, based on the NMD’s developmental needs and readiness for independence.  However, although NMDs may remain in extended foster care as long as they meet the eligibility criteria, they are not entitled to a specific placement. 

The decisions regarding continuation of current placements or moves to new placements are made in consultation with the NMD.  For SILPs, an assessment of readiness is part of the decision making and selection of placement.  A review of the NMD's finances using the Budget Spreadsheet (SCZ410) may be useful.  Negotiating with NMDs over placement may be required, especially if the NMD is re-entering extended foster care (EFC) after a break.  An interim plan should be developed with an NMD whose first choice of placement is not appropriate. 

If agreement cannot be reached between the social worker and the NMD, a team decision making meeting model approach is encouraged to resolve the disagreement.   

    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Placement Considerations for Non-Minor Dependents  

In addition to the usual placement considerations, for NMDs the selection of the placement, including a SILP, should be based upon the developmental needs of young adults and the ability of the placement to provide opportunities to have incremental responsibilities that prepare the NMD as they transition into adulthood.   

Upon re-entry, a criminal background check must be completed for an NMD in order to assess the appropriateness and safety of placing the NMD in a foster care or other placement setting with minor dependent children.  The NMD can refute any of the information obtained if the records check reveals erroneous information.

Placement may be an area in which conflict arises.  It is important to help NMDs understand what an appropriate and safe placement is and why they may not be ready for their placement of choice.  On the other hand, it is important to let NMDs try more independent placements, even if the NMD does not appear to be fully ready. 

It is better for them to try it while they have supportive services in place rather than after they exit foster care.  If significant issues prevent placement of choice, it may be appropriate to develop a plan that the NMD can follow to work towards meeting the placement goal.


    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Relative or NREFM Placements  

If the non-minor dependent (NMD) is placed with a relative or non-related extended family member (NREFM), the home must be approved using the same standards as foster homes in State Regulations relating to NMDs.


The NMD does not have to go through the home approval process if they are continuing to live with the same relative or NREFM.  The NREFM may be approved through the SILP process instead.  Relatives/NREFMs that have not been previously approved may be approved through the SILP process.

Forms SOC 815-817-818 for Temporary Placement for NMD and SOC 815-817-818 Combined for NMD are used to approve relative/NREFM homes for a NMD initial placement or when reassessing the home for continued placement.  If a minor opts in the extended foster care program upon reaching 18 years old and is residing in an approved relative/NREFM home, a new home approval is not needed for the minor to remain in the home.  At the time the annual reassessment is due, the social worker uses the SOC 815-817-818 Combined for NMD for the reassessment process.

If a relative/NREFM home is being assessed for both a minor and non-minor dependent, one SOC 815 may be used for both youth.   However, separate SOC 817/817 NMD and SOC818/818NMD must be used, respectively, for each youth.

    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Foster Family Homes and FFA Homes  

If an NMD moves from one foster family home (FFH) or foster family agency (FFA) home to another FFH or FFA:

  • A pre-placement appraisal must be conducted.
    • The pre-placement appraisal is a process which includes a conversation between the social worker and caregiver to determine:
      • The needs of the NMD
      • The ability of the caregiver to provide for the needs of the NMD
      • The ability of the caregiver to ensure the safety of everyone in the home.
  • The social worker must check with the Licensing social worker or FFA agency to ensure that the addition of the NMD will not put the home over its approved capacity.
  • A new placement agreement form must be signed. 
  • A Shared Living Agreement (SCZ410) must be completed to negotiate the rules and expectations for the NMD living in the home.
    • See below for more information.

Sharing a Room with Minors

NMDs who remain in the same placement after turning 18 may continue sharing a room with a minor in the home.

NMDs entering a new placement may share a room with a dependent minor at the discretion of the social workers for the NMD and the dependent minor.

FFA Home

If a caregiver whose home has been certified under a Foster Family Agency (FFA) states that he or she is not or no longer want to be certified as an FFA Home, the social worker must contact the FFA to confirm the information.
    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Shared Living Agreement (SCZ410)  

A Shared Living Agreement (SLA) (SCZ410) is a document that outlines in writing the understanding between a non-minor dependent and his/her caregiver of expectations for placement in a household. 

As a Department of Family and Children's Services (DFCS) policy, a Shared Living Agreement is required for NMDs who are remaining in their current placement at age 18, as well as for those moving into a new setting with a foster family, relative, or non-relative extended family member (NREFM).  An SLA may assist both the NMD and the provider/caregiver in transitioning to the NMD’s new adult role and in resolving conflicts by delineating the understanding about household rules and expectations.


    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Group Home and THPP for NMDs  

Group home and Transitional Housing Placement Program (THPP) placements are prohibited once an NMD graduates high school or reaches age 19, whichever is earlier. 

Group home placement for NMDs may be considered only if:

  • The continuation of the placement allows the NMD to finish high school within that academic year or by the age of 19, whichever occurs first, or
  • The NMD has finished high school and the social worker has documented that the NMD meets participation criteria number five (5), which defines a medical condition and the incapability is supported by regularly updated information in the case plan.  In that case, the group home placement can function as a short-term 90 day transition to the appropriate system of care only. 
    • Treatment services provided by the group home to alleviate or ameliorate the medical condition should not constitute the sole basis to disqualify an NMD from the group home placement  

Whenever possible and appropriate, efforts to transition youth from group home/THPP placement to a less restrictive and more family-like setting should be expedited prior to the youth’s turning age 18. 

The planning process begins as soon as it becomes clear to the Department that a foster youth is likely to remain in a group home/THPP placement on his or her 18th birthday.


Approval for admission to or continuation in a group home placement requires a youth-driven, team decision making meeting.


The case plan must specify:

  • Why or how admission to or continuation in a group home placement:
    • Is the best alternative available at the time to meet the special needs or well-being of the NMD
    • Will contribute to the NMD’s transition to independent living;
  • The treatment strategies that will be used to prepare the NMD for discharge to a less restrictive and more family-like setting; and
  • A target date for discharge from the group home placement.

Placement in a group home is reviewed and updated on a regular, periodic basis to ensure that continuation in the group home remains in the best interest of the NMD and that progress is being made in achieving case plan goals leading to independent living.  This could be accomplished through MY TIME meetings, team decision making meetings, 90 day transition plan meetings, or other group decision approaches.

For more information on THPP placement program please refer to OPP 6-8, Transitional Housing Placement Program (THPP).

    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Supervised Independent Living Placement(SILP)  

The SILP is a flexible type of foster care placement intended to provide young adults with the opportunity for highly independent living experiences while receiving financial support along with the safety net of a social worker to provide support and services when problems arise.  Placement of a young adult in a SILP setting should be based on an assessment of the NMD’s readiness to live independently in a least restrictive environment because there is no caregiver or provider to assist the NMD as with other placements. 

However, these young adults remain court dependents under the placement and supervision of DFCS, and the NMDs continue monthly face-to-face meetings with their social workers. 

A Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP) is a foster care placement approved and supervised by the county social worker or probation officer for that NMD only and in which the NMD is living independently, and can be their own payee. Supportive services, such as Wraparound services may also be provided.  

A SILP is the least restrictive placement option and pays only the basic AFDC-FC rate with no specialized care increment.

The Supervised Independent Living Placements (SILPs) are for NMDs who are developmentally ready to live independently in the least restrictive environment with less intensive services from a social worker or caregiver. 

The NMD is responsible for finding his or her own SILP.  Examples of a SILP placement are:

  • An apartment close to a school the NMD attends
    • The NMD could rent the apartment alone or with roommates.
  • A room rented from a friend or former caregiver
  • Relatives/NREFMs
    • Note: Relative/NREFMs that that formerly could not be approved for placement may now be SILPs because the requirements are different. 
  • Single room occupancies, which may have shared bathrooms and kitchens
  • College dorms/university housing

The SILP must be approved by the Department, using the SILP Inspection checklist (SOC 157B).  The SILP needs to meet basic health and safety standards. State regulations for approval of the SILP setting recognize that the transition to independence may  involve self-initiated changes in placements and ensure continuity of placement and payment while the NMD is temporarily absent from an approved placement while awaiting approval of a new SILP.

A SILP cannot be with the NMD’s biological parent(s).  Living situations with other appropriate family members are acceptable and encouraged.

NMDs placed in a SILP receive:

  • The basic foster care rate.
    • Payments may be made to the NMD or person from whom the SILP is rented. 
  • An annual clothing allowance
  • Infant supplement, if the NMD is a parent with his or her child.

An NMD living in a SILP can apply for CalFresh.   Eligibility for CalFresh is determined on a case by case basis and considers the following factors: 

  • household composition
  • the individual’s income earned and unearned income, including the foster care grant
  • assets
  • the amount of rent and utility expenses
  • student status   

Receiving a foster care payment does not, in and of itself, make the young adult ineligible.  

An NMD living in a SILP should be encouraged to apply for CalFresh, as they may be eligible, but they should be informed that they may not be eligible due to a variety of factors. 

Specialized Care Increments are not available for this placement option (SILP).


    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Approving a SILP  

Approving a SILP is a three-part process consisting of:

  • Assessing the readiness of the non-minor dependent for a SILP and
  • Approving the SILP Unit and
  • Completing the SILP Approval and Placement Agreement.

When assessing the readiness of an NMD for independent living, the social worker:

1. Evaluates the NMD using the Ansell Casey Life Skills Assessment
  • Consider the level of independence the SILP provides in relation to the NMD’s level of skills and abilities.
  • SILPs cover a wide range of living situations.  It is important to factor in whether the NMD will be living with a permanent adult connection on site or not. 
  • Consider the NMD's income and determine if it is sufficient to cover monthly expenses.
2. Completes the SILP Inspection checklist (SOC 157B) during a walkthrough of the site with the NMD.
  • The unit must accommodate the use of basic amenities such as running water, heat, electricity, and fire escapes.
  • The unit must be free from hazards such as exposed electrical wires, mold, and insect or rodent infestations.
3.  Completes the SILP Approval and Placement Agreement (SOC157A)
  • Negotiate with the NMD about who the payee will be for the foster care payment.
  • If the SILP Payee is not the NMD, the Payee, NMD and social worker will all sign the SOC157A.
  • If the NMD has moved from one SILP to another, a new SILP approval must be completed with 10 days for payment to continue uninterrupted.  
If the social worker .. then the social worker..
Approves the SILP
  • Submits to the Placement Tracking Team (PTT) within 24 hours of placement:
    • Placement/Address Change Form (SCZ17)

    • Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP) Cover Page (SCZ158)

    • SOC 157A

    • SOC157B

  • Reassess the SILP unit annually.
Does not approve the SILP See Not Approving a SILP section below.

Temporary Breaks in a SILP Placement

  •  NMDs are allowed to live in an unapproved SILP temporarily while awaiting approval of a new SILP. 
  • In a situation where an NMD moves unexpectedly, the social worker must inspect the new SILP site within ten (10) calendar days of the move to ensure continuity of the payment.  If an NMD is absent from an approved placement for 14 days or more in one month, payment will be disrupted.

College dorms:

  • Dorms or other designated university housing are not required to be pre-approved.  
  • A readiness assessment is not required.
  • The assessment for the Six-month Transitional Independent Living Plan (TILP) update is required.
  • A plan should be developed for where the NMD will live when school is not in session.


    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Tribal SILPs  

For SILP units that are on or near a reservation for which the tribe is the approving agency, SILPs are similar to tribally approved homes and are not subject to the same approval standards.  Tribes have the independent authority to approve a SILP using their own socially and culturally appropriate standards.  Tribal approval is deemed equivalent to licensed or approved status by the state.  The SILP checklist has been adapted for optional tribal use.

    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Parenting Support for NonMinor Dependent Parents in a SILP  

California Assembly Bill (AB) 2668 was passed and is effective July 1, 2015 with the intent to address the unique challenges of young parents residing in a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP) by providing adequate support and services to strengthen the family unit.  This law allows foster youth, ages 18-21, who are parents and living in a Supervised Independent Living Placement (SILP) to receive an additional $200.00 payment each month if they enter into a Parenting Support Plan (PSP) with an adult mentor.

This extra payment is in addition to the infant supplement.  Please see OPP Chapter 24-8, Eligibility –Extended Foster Care, Infant Supplement for further information regarding Infant Supplements. 

For information for youth, Assembly Bill 2668 information flyer is available. 

Who is Eligible for Payment: A Non-Minor Dependent (NMD) is eligible for the supplemental $200.00 payment if:

  • They are a parent and have full or partial custody of their child, who is not the subject of Juvenile Court jurisdiction;
  • They are residing in a SILP: and
  • They develop a written Parenting Support Plan (PSP) with an adult mentor and obtain the approval of their social worker or juvenile probation officer for their PSP. 


Payment Information:

  • If the NMD mother and NMD father live in the same household they will each be eligible for the $200.00 a month supplement. 
  • The $200.00 supplement will be provided per child.
  • Beginning date of payment is the infant’s date of birth as long as the PSP has been completed.  The payment will be retroactive as long as the PSP is completed and in a SILP. 
  • PSP payment to the NMD is up to age 21 as long as the Non-Minor Dependent remains in a SILP and their child remains in their custody. 
  • Medi-Cal may continue for the adult NMD (they would not be an NMD after age 21) up to age 26 however, when the NMD ages out of foster care they will need to apply for Medi-Cal and financial aid, if not employed, for their child.

Parenting Support Plan:

A Parenting Support Plan is an individualized plan that explains how an adult mentor will offer support between the NMD parent and the NMD’s child. The plan will specifically outline the ways in which the adult mentor will assist the NMD parent with regard to the child in addition to identifying supportive services to be offered to the NMD parent. 

Adult Mentor Eligibility:

  • Be at least 21 years of age.
  • Undergo a criminal records check.
  • Undergo a Child Abuse Central Index check.
  • A negative result does not mean the adult mentor will be automatically excluded from being a viable candidate.
  • Social workers or probation officers are not prohibited from being mentors.


Developing the Parenting Support Plan (PSP):

  • Social Worker to complete the SCZ208-Parenting Support Plan, with the NMD parent, the identified responsible adult mentor, and the social worker or probation officer.
  • One PSP plan is to be completed for each child. 
  • Additional input may be provided by other individuals identified by the NMD parent, the other parent (if appropriate) or extended family members.  
  • The PSP should be developed as soon as practicably possible after the responsible adult mentor is identified. The PSP can be submitted before the criminal record check is completed.
    • The social worker or probation officer will submit the criminal record check at the time they receive the information from the adult mentor or from the parenting NMD.

    NOTE:  This applies to all mentors residing in or out of Santa Clara County. 

      • For a full criminal record check the social worker or probation officer will submit:
      • For Out of County Live Scan (Fingerprinting)
        • Pre-approval is necessary before the Live Scan can be completed.
          • The social worker will complete and submit an SCZ414Z (DFCS Special Funds Request) to the Special Funds Unit for approval for reimbursement for the mentor being fingerprinted. 
          • To fill out the SCZ414Z, the NMD and/or mentor must locate which local office they will be visiting for the Live Scan so that the cost can be reported (different locations have different prices for Live Scan) on the SCZ414Z.
          • Once approved and the Live Scan is completed, submit a copy of the original receipt to the Special Funds Unit, who will then process and reimburse the payment with a check about 2 weeks later.
  • If the social worker or probation officer is not available within 30 days, to review the PSP, the NMD parent may enter into the plan with the responsible adult for payment to start, and it can be modified at a later date if necessary.
  • The PSP may be updated as needed to account for the changing needs of the NMD parent’s child.
  • A new PSP plan must be developed if the adult mentor changes for any reason.

Once the PSP plan is completed the social worker or probation officer will submit the plan to NMD clerical support Janet Castillo, 373 W Julian, 5th floor, who will forward a copy to Foster Care Eligibility in order to process the payment.  The social worker and probation officer are required to keep a copy of the PSP in the case file.

NMD Clerical will also be responsible for entering a special project code to track parenting NMD’s in CWS/CMS.  

Disagreement with the choice of the NMD Parent’s Adult Mentor or the Parenting Support Plan:

The social worker or probation officer will work with the NMD parent and provide guidance on how to pick an adult mentor. Some questions for a youth to think about when identifying a mentor may include:

  • Who was supportive of your pregnancy?
  • Who has consistently been there for you?
  • Who is a parenting role model for you?
  • Who do you feel really believes in you?
  • Who do you trust to be alone with your child?
  • Who will understand that they are doing this as a volunteer and not getting paid?

If there are any disagreements, pursue the resolution method as identified in the Parenting Support Plan.  If no resolution occurs the next step is to resolve at the lowest possible level either at a MYTIME Meeting or at a Pregnant and Parenting Teen Conference.   



NMD Re-Entry:

 When a NMD parent re-enters, the payment will begin the date the SOC163 (granted that the NMD is in an approved placement) and Parent Support Plan are signed.  The SOC 163 is needed to re-enter, however payment cannot begin until the placement is approved.  If the NMD is going to receive the PSP rate it should be signed the date the placement is approved (the date of the SOC 157A).



    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Not Approving a SILP  

For NMDs whose assessment clearly determines that they are not ready for a SILP, the life skills areas in need of improvement should be turned into goals on their Transitional Independent Living Plans.  The social worker and NMD can work together on improving those skills so that NMDs can work toward living in a SILP.

Indicators that NMDs are not ready for a SILP placement include but are not limited to:
  • Rent and utilities exceed income
  • Unstable income
  • No knowledge of how to count money, budget, or pay bills, or
  • Unable to care for self without assistance due to a serious medical or mental health condition.

To ensure that the NMD stays in extended foster care, the social worker:

  • Clearly explains why the NMD is not ready for a SILP in a manner that the NMD can understand.
  • Outlines in writing the steps the NMD needs to take to become ready for a SILP.
  • Outlines in writing on the assessment the reasons for not approving the SILP placement.
  • Attaches to the Approval and Placement Agreement (SOC 157B) the document that outlines the reasons for not approving the SILP placement.
  • Informs the NMD of the grievance process, if the NMD does not agree with the outcome of the joint assessment.

The assessment is not to be used to permanently deny a SILP placement but as an opportunity to work with the young adult to determine the most appropriate placement.

    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page

Transitional Housing Placement-Plus-Foster Care (THP-Plus FC) Program


The Transitional Housing Placement-Plus-Foster Care (THP-Plus-FC) program provides placement options for non-minor dependents (NMDs) age 18 to 21 that opt into extended foster care. 

This placement program is for NMDs who are not ready for a highly independent living situation.  It offers similar housing models and supportive services that are available in the current THP-Plus Aftercare Program. The THP-Plus-FC Program provides housing for NMDs and offers more frequent and intensive services for NMDs than other placement options. 

Types of THP Plus Foster Care Housing Sites:

There are three types of housing sites for NMDs placed with a transitional housing placement provider:

1. Host Family:

A placement where the NMD lives with a caring adult who has been selected and approved by the transitional housing placement provider serving NMDs in THP-Plus FC. The NMD receives provider-based supportive services, and the host family will provide basic board and care for the NMD.

2. Single Site:

A placement where an NMD lives in an apartment, single family dwelling, or condominium rented or leased by the transitional housing placement provider serving NMDs in THP-Plus FC, in which one or more adult employees of the provider reside and provide supervision.

3. Scattered Site:

A single housing unit where the NMD lives independently and where provider’s staff does not live in the same building. This may include apartments, single family dwellings, or condominiums rented or leased by the transitional housing placement provider in various locations, not necessarily near each other.

The provider serving NMDs in THP-Plus FC must be licensed by California Department of Social Services Community Care Licensing (CCL) Division as a transitional housing placement provider.

The THP-Plus FC program for NMDs, which is offered by a state Community Care Licensing (CCL) licensed transitional housing placement provider, is a provider-based, supervised housing and supportive services program that includes regular contact with a provider case manager.

Through THP-Plus FC, NMDs are able to gain a level of independence in a supervised setting. This type of placement is more restricted, has a higher rate structure than a SILP, and serves to meet an older child’s need for supervision and support as he/she moves toward independence. 

The NMD transitions to independent adulthood through education and employment training opportunities while maintaining a safety net of support and experiencing independence in a secure and supervised living environment. 


To refer an NMD to THP Plus FC:

Complete the THP Plus Foster Care Placement Referral (SCZ10) and submit to the THP Plus FC/THPP placement social worker in the placement unit. 

To learn about information regarding THP + FC programs view at the Transitional Housing Placement Plus Foster Care (THP+FC) Programs listing


    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Guiding a Non-Minor Dependent about Roommate Selection   It is likely that NMDs will need to live with a roommate in a SILP for financial reasons. NMDs may freely choose their roommates; however, it is important for social workers to guide an NMD in how to select an appropriate roommate or housemates, including conversations about finances and sustainability.  The discussion should respect the NMD’s privacy and adult status. 
    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Out-of-County and Out-of-State Placements  

Out-of-County Placements

For NMDs who reside in a different county than their jurisdiction, the county of jurisdiction retains case management and financial responsibility for NMDs.  The county of residence, or tribal social worker, may agree to provide courtesy supervision of the case and accept secondary assignment for data entry into CWS/CMS or for providing the county of jurisdiction with all of the necessary information for data reporting.

Further, if an NMD resides in another county for one year and expresses an intention to remain in that county, the court may transfer the NMD’s case. 

Out-of-State Placements
Placements out-of-state are allowable for NMDs who are attending college, residing in an appropriate placement, or employed in appropriate employment.  Monthly face to face requirements are required even if the NMD is placed out of state. 

Please see OPP 6-14, Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children for further information regarding ICPCs for NMDs. 

    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Placements for Young Adults Re-entering Extended Foster Care  

For young adults who return to extended foster care (EFC) after a break, placements in licensed foster homes where minors reside are allowed.  A pre-placement appraisal must be conducted to ensure that the placement is appropriate for all involved.  

If an NMD is re-entering EFC, the social worker must conduct a background check of the NMD via either California Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (CLETS) or Live Scan fingerprinting.  If an NMD has a criminal record, this does not disqualify the NMD from entry to EFC as long as he or she meets one of the participation criteria.

The results of the background checks are not to be used for the purpose of precluding an NMD from re-entering EFC but solely to determine the safety and appropriateness of placing the returning NMD with dependent minors. 

The NMD may be placed in the home prior to the social worker receiving the results of the background check as long as the pre-placement appraisal indicates that the NMD does not pose a threat to anyone in the home.

Please see OPP 24-7, Re-entering the Extended Foster Care (EFC) Program for further information regarding Re-entering EFC.
    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page

Grievance Procedures


Non-minor dependents (NMDs) have a right to a grievance process. 

  • Grievances or disputes can be brought before the court
  • By contacting the CC25 Manager, Marisela Martinez at 408-501-6839
  • Concerns can be reported by a NMD to the Foster Care Ombudsman’s Office at 1-877-846-1602 or web site at: http://www.fosteryouthhelp.ca.gov
  • Information about the County Ombudsperson should be provided to the NMD.


    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Financial Assistance for NMDs  

Special Funds:

Funds may be available to youth for housing, furniture and bedding.

See OPP 18-3, DFCS Special Funds (SCZ 414Z)- Purchasing Items and Other Expenses.

Season of Sharing: 

If resource is available, provides a onetime assistance for first month’s rent and security deposit.  

See OPP 18-3, DFCS Special Funds (SCZ 414Z)-  Purchasing Items and Other Expenses


    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page
Other References  

OPP 6-8, Transitional Housing Placement (THPP)

OPP 6-8.2, THP-Plus, Housing for Emancipated Youth

    < Return to OPP Table of Contents | ^ Back to Top of Page